Old Adobe Mission
For two years, from 1931 to 1933, the Mexican families in the area
around Main and Brown Avenues in Scottsdale, worked to complete the church of their dreams.
Men toiled nights and weekends making 5,000 adobe bricks to build the mission. Others appealed
to priests from Tempe and Phoenix to come and celebrate the Mass. In 1933 the first Mass was celebrated in the Adobe Mission.
In 1949 it became a parish with a resident Pastor, Fr. James Mulvihill.
The people celebrated every sacrament and held fiestas when they could.
They began honoring Our Lady of Guadalupe first with a fiesta which eventually expanded into a parade and a stage play.
But in 1956, due to the mushrooming Catholic population, the little church
was left alone and parishioners attended Mass at the big church on Miller Road.
Since that time, the Mission church building was used as a center for Religious
Education for the children, as a meeting place for the Knights of Columbus and for
the OLPH teens, and finally, as a rehearsal hall for the Scottsdale Symphony.
In 2000 a group of parishioners formed a committee dedicated to the restoration
of the original, historic mission. Their goal is to return the mission to a center
of quiet and reflection for locals and tourist.
Donations were sought and a grant came
through the Scottsdale Historical Preservation Society from the Arizona State Parks Board.This is helping with phase one of the restoration. See below for the work currently being done.
The Old Adobe Mission in Old Town Scottsdale