Palace of Fine Arts Theatre
As part of the Palace of Fine Arts, this stately theater is situated within a beautiful oasis in San Francisco. The Palace of Fine Arts was originally constructed for the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition. Built cheaply of wood and plaster, the temporary structure was intended to be torn down after the Expo. However, a movement was begun immediately after and the general public let it be known that they did not want the building destroyed.
As the structure and surrounding grounds fell into disrepair and became a public hazard in the 1950's, philanthropist Walter Johnson and a group of dedicated citizens initiated a restoration effort. Eventually the entire Palace was demolished and a permanent replica was built in its place during the 1960's. The theater was finished in 1970 and was designed to fit in with the prevalent Greco-Roman theme.
Today, the theater hosts a large variety of events, including performance groups, receptions, televised events, concerts, film festivals and lectures. Significant national and international talent regularly grace this stage. The theater is available for rent.
Address / Phone
3301 Lyon Street