Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
The Cummer Museum is home to
one of the most important Old
Masters collections in the Southeast.
The 12 galleries flow in chronological
order, featuring great European
and American works.
Collection of Early Meissen porcelain
is the largest of its kind outside of
Germany. The interactive teaching
gallery and the Italian and English
gardens on the St. Johns River complement
The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens, built on the site of
the home of Arthur and Ninah Cummer, opened its doors November 10, 1961.
From Ninah Cummer's relatively small collection of sixty pieces that
launched the museum, The Cummer's permanent collection has grown to over
five thousand works of art encompassing eight thousand years of art history.
Two acres of formal historic gardens, created by Mrs. Cummer,
enhance the museum campus today.
The first garden at The Cummer
residence was planted in 1903 and followed the English style.
The Italian Garden designed by Ellen Biddle Shipman (1869-1950) followed in 1931.
Cummer English Garden