Statement of Significance (as of designation - February 27, 1987):
The Adler, which opened in 1930, was the first planetarium in the Western Hemisphere. It was given to the people of Chicago by Max Adler to enable everyone to "observe the heavenly bodies as heretofore only astronomers could do." The planetarium was an attraction at the great Chicago exposition, "A Century of Progress" (1933-1934).
1300 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago