Bounded by West, New York and Blackford streets and the Central Canal, this 14-acre park is the oldest in the city.
Over the years,
Military Park has had many uses. The city’s first recorded July 4th celebration was held there in 1822;
in 1836, militia
gathered there to prepare for the Black Hawk War; the first Indiana State Fair was held at this location in October 1852;
and at the outbreak of the Civil War, the park quickly became a military camp used for the recruitment and training of troops.
In recent years, Military Park has been used for gatherings of political groups and for festivals, such as the Indy Jazz Fest,
RibAmerica’s Rib Fest and the Indy Irish Festival. This park, located in White River State Park, now serves as a daily reminder
of the great history of Indianapolis.