The Constellation, technically called a "sloop of war," is the last all-sail ship designed by the Navy. It served as the flagship of the African Squadron on anti-slavery patrols; in the Mediterranean, protecting U.S. merchant ships from Confederate raiders during the Civil War; and with the West Gulf Blockading Squadron toward the war's end. Constellation was then used for transient billeting and training until it arrived in Annapolis in 1871.
The vessel sailed under its own power for the last time in 1893, its last summer at the Naval Academy. It was later transferred to Rhode Island to serve as a stationary training ship at the Newport Naval Training Station.
Constellation was decommissioned for the last time in 1955 and brought to Baltimore. The Navy condemned the vessel as unsafe in 1994, but, following a three-year restoration, Constellation returned to its Baltimore berth, restored to its original 1854 appearance.
All three decks can be visited year-round.
An exhibition shows log books and other memorabilia of the ship. A Slide Show gives insight into the history of the ship.