This 14-square-block outdoor shopping and entertainment district is filled with romantic Spanish architecture, European art and dazzling fountains. Annually ca. 15 millions of visitors come here. Designed in 1922, the Country Club Plaza features boutiques and fashionable national stores as well as distinctive restaurants, outdoor cafes and nightlife hotspots.
Designed as the nation's first suburban shopping district for the automobile, the Country Club Plaza was the vision of developer J.C. Nichols. Seeking to create a real estate development that captured the allure of Spanish marketplaces, Nichols purchased several small lots of land in a swampy and undeveloped area in 1907 and opened the Plaza's first buildings in 1922. The J.C. Nichols Company's ownership of the Plaza ended in 1998 when North Carolina-based real estate company Highwoods Properties acquired the rights. Originally nicknamed "Nichols' Folly," the Country Club Plaza's Moorish architecture now features more than $1 million in artwork, comprised of the district's fountains, murals and more than 30 statues.
The Seville Light, at the eastern gateway to the Plaza, is an exact replica of a fountain in Seville, Spain, one of Kansas City's sister cities.
HOURS: Open 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. Mon.-Sat., 10 a.m. - 9 p.m. Thurs., noon - 6 p.m. Sun. Check with individual merchants for specific hours.
Customer Service: 4745 Central Street, Kansas City, Mo
10 minutes south of Downtown.
Nearby is the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art and the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art are just minutes away. The Toy & Miniature Museum is just to the south on the University of Missouri-Kansas City campus.