Malls & Outlets: Interesting Facts
- There are 46,990 shopping malls in the United States.
- The vast majority of shopping malls (95%) are open-air centers.
- California has the most shopping malls: 6,243
- Wyoming has the least: 55
- In 2003, there were 662 more shopping centers operating in the United States than in 2002.
- There are 1,130 enclosed malls in the United States.
- There are over 100 lifestyle centers currently operating in the United States.
- There are approximately 230 factory outlets in the United States.
- Each month in 2003, 203 million adults visited various shopping centers in the United States.
- Apparel and accessories stores account for nearly half of all non-anchor mall space.
- Approximately, 40 million people a year visit the largest mall in the United States - the Mall of America.
- Southdale Center in Edina, Minn., opened in 1956 as the first fully enclosed mall. It had a two-level design and two competitive department stores as anchors.
- Consumers spent approximately 76.4 minutes per mall visit and went to 1.3 mall stores per visit, spending an average of $68.20 per mall visit.
Last modified: 20040903