It was at the end of the 19th century when two brothers, William ('Willie') Keith Kellogg und Dr. John Harvey Kellog, wrote some type of history - they invented the prototype of what is today known as cereals.
In 1894 they were experimenting with different food
production techniques at the Battle Creek Sanatorium in Michigan. The Sanatorium was well renowned for its specialization towards healthy diet products and programs.
The brothers decided to run boiled wheat dough through rollers
which enabled them to produce thin sheets of wheat. After a sudden interruption
in their laboratory activities left cooked wheat exposed to the air for more
than a day, the Kellogg brothers decided to run the wheat through the rollers
despite the fact it was no longer fresh. To their amazement, instead of a
single, large sheet of wheat, the rollers discharged a single flake for each
wheat berry. Cereal flakes were born.
Prompted by William Kellogg's belief that diet played an important role in a
healthy lifestyle and that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, he
spent the next eight years further developing the newly invented cereal,
culminating in its first production in 1906. That same year, in order to
increase awareness of the revolutionary product, W.K. bought a full-page ad in
the July issue of the Ladies' Home Journal. As a result, sales leapt from 33
cases to 2,900 cases per day.
Adhering to his strong commitment to communicating the importance and
benefits of health and nutrition, in 1923, William Kellogg hired Mary Barber to
establish the industry's first professional home economics department to develop
recipes using Kellogg's® cereals. Her work with consumers and educators
initiated a company tradition of providing the latest information about diet,
nutrition and health.
W.K. Kellogg was born in 1860 in Battle Creek and before he teamed up with his brother he was a salesman for brooms.
William inspired the competitor field as well.
Right during the initila phase of the cereal success a competitor everybody knows today was raring to go: C.W. Post who liked so much what he ate once at the Battle Creek Sanatorium that he took his chance, too.
Many other companies followed in the next year and most of them settled down in Battle Creek to be a part of the association with this town.
Until 1929 W.K. Kellogg led the company and until 1946 he remained Chairman. As a philanthropist he founded the 'W. K. Kellogg Foundation' in 1930, which is said to be one of the richest in the United States. W.K. Kellog died in 1951 but his name will be connected with the 'Cereal-Industry' for ever.
Battle Creek (162 Miles from Chicago and 112 Miles from Detroit) is worldwide known as 'Cereal City'.
Some Company Facts
Today, Kellogg produces more than 40 different cereals with plants in 19 countries, on six continents. The company markets its products in more than 160 countries and employs over 15,600 people in its worldwide organization.
The Kellogg Company is the world's leading
producer of cereal and a leading producer of convenience foods, including
cookies, crackers, toaster pastries, cereal bars, frozen waffles, meat
alternatives, piecrusts and ice cream cones. The company's brands include
Kellogg's®, Keebler®, Pop-Tarts®, Eggo®, Cheez-It®, Nutri-Grain®, Special K®,
Rice Krispies®, Murray®, Austin®, Morningstar Farms®, Famous Amos®, Carr's®,
Plantation®, Ready Crust® and Kashi®.
In 2002 a multi-year global relationship was formed between Kellogg and Disney® and several new cereal and snack food products are introduced successivley to the market.
Theme Park around cereals and the history of Kellogg
A great place to visit for kids and adults.
For adults the history and product variety will be of interest and for kids of course the many Disney® characters.
Kellogg's Cereal City USA™
171 West Michigan Ave
Take I-94 between Detroit and Chicago
Get off at exit 98B
Now you will be on M66/I-194
This will take you to downtown Battle Creek
Turn left onto Michigan Ave.
Go down Michigan Ave. about two blocks
Kellogg's Cereal City USA is the red brick building located on the left side
of the street just across the river.