Route 66 in Missouri - The buildings in Carthage
Just before hitting the town city of Carthage off Highway 96, travelers will find Red Oak II,
a pioneer Missouri town that has been reassembled 25 miles away from its original site.
roadside Burma-Shave signs, the buildings here have been preserved as a credible replica of a
crossroads town, circa 1929, and include an antique Phillips 66 gas station, a fully functioning
general store, a blacksmith’s shop incongruously filled with penny arcade games, and a small cafe. A
small museum tells
the life story of Belle Starr, the Carthage woman who became a Confederate spy and Wild West
Continuing down the highway travelers will come upon the idyllic town of Carthage.
Carthage is home to the beautiful and inspirational setting of the Precious Moments Chapel,
featuring the wide-eyed characters from the greeting card series. Carthage also holds two old Route
On the west side of downtown, look for the glowing red-and-green neon sign of the
, still open for business at 107 S. Garrison Street.
And a mile west of town on Old Route
66, travelers can enjoy Hollywood blockbusters at the meticulously restored and reopened Route 66
Not far from Carthage is Webb City, which features the Main Street Music
formerly the Route 66 Music Theatre.
Saturday night musical variety shows are offered in
this renovated art nouveau movie house just a block off old Route 66.
Webb City is also home to one
of Route 66’s oddities – the Praying Hands
The 32-foot, 100-ton concrete-and-steel memorial sits
atop a 40-foot-high hill in King Jack Park and serves as a reminder of the simple but profound act of
The last stop on Missouri’s portion of Route 66 ends in Joplin.
The Joplin Museum
Complex tells the story of Joplin history and mining in the Tri-State district.