Bald Head & Price Creek Lighthouse
Bald Head Lighthouse
The Bald Head Lighthouse is North Carolina’s oldest standing lighthouse.
The current Bald Head Lighthouse, nicknamed "Old Baldy," was built in 1817 about a mile from the ocean.
Confederate forces disabled the lighthouse in January 1865 prior to losing control of the Cape Fear River in the battle at Fort Fisher.
From the beginning, the lighthouse never completely illuminated the 20-mile area of shoals that
extended into the ocean under its watch. In the early 1900s, the Bald Head light was downgraded
to a low-intensity, steady light and was finally discontinued in 1935. From 1941 to 1958, Old Baldy produced a
radio beacon to direct ships into the Cape Fear River Channel in times of fog and bad weather.
Though no longer operational, the restored beacon is a lasting reminder of an adventurous maritime era.
Price’s Creek Lighthouse
Eight lighthouses once illuminated the 25-mile stretch of the Cape Fear River between Oak
Island and Wilmington. Confederates destroyed these lighthouses as they lost control of the river. By the late 1880s,
the lighthouses were replaced by unattended beacons. The brick shell known as Price's Creek Lighthouse is the only one
of the eight lighthouses built along the Cape Fear River that still stands.
Price's Creek Lighthouse, only 20 feet tall, was the smaller of the two lights at Price's Creek.
During the Civil War, Price's Creek Lighthouse served as a Confederate signal station, aiding blockade-runners in navigating the river.
Fondly known as Old Baldy, the current Bald Island lighthouse was built in 1818 and deactivated in 1935. It is the oldest standing lighthouse on the NC coast