About two and a half miles south near Port Orford is the Cape Blanco Lighthouse,
which holds several state records.
Built in 1870, it’s Oregon’s oldest lighthouse.
With the top of the 59-foot tower at 256 feet above sea level, it’s Oregon’s highest.
And it’s the most westerly, sitting where Oregon juts out furthest into the Pacific Ocean.
Finally, it housed Oregon’s first female lighthouse keeper, Mabel E. Bretherton, who took the job in 1903.
There are four remaining lighthouses in Oregon’s collection, including the northernmost one,
the 1881 Tillamook Rock Lighthouse, offshore near Cannon Beach, and since 1980 a columbarium.
South of Reedsport, the Umpqua River Lighthouse is the spitting image of Heceta Head Lighthouse and was
commissioned the same year, 1894.
Cape Arago, near Coos Bay, was built in 1934 and is not open to the public.
Finally, the 1896 Coquille River Lighthouse near Bandon offers guided tours to the tower watchroom upon request. –
Cape Blanco Lighthouse, 1870, Oregon's Most Westerly, Oldest and Highest above the Sea